UK or the Netherlands
Purpose of Role
The Head of Legal reports directly to the CEO and is responsible for leading the legal department which supports the business across all of its service lines (Active Wealth, Global Expansion, Funds and Pensions & Executive Solutions).
The Head of Legal is tasked with analysing, identifying and implementing/ guiding solutions for the legal risks applicable to the business and keeping the senior management in all departments of the business informed of developments in laws that potentially affect the business.
In addition, the role will give legal support to the business in areas such as the provision and/or procurement of legal advice for the business, problem solving in the context of day-to-day operations, drafting of legal documents, product development, business development, developing legal policies and procedures, support on complaints where required, litigation and legal risks, management of legal documents and education and training of other employees.
- Give accurate and timely counsel to executives in a variety of legal topics.
- Collaborate with management to devise efficient defense strategies.
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations.
- Apply effective fiduciary risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (external counsel, public authority etc.), creating relations of trust.
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company’s full legal rights.
- Deal with complex matters with multiple stakeholders.
- Provide clarification on legal language or specifications to everyone in the ZEDRA Group.
- Maintain and disseminate current knowledge of alterations in legislation.
- Management of the legal teams.
- Supporting the Head of Mergers & Acquisitions as required.
- Supporting the Head of Commercial regarding the business development elements arising from the role.
- Support Head of Risk, Compliance and Governance.
Knowledge and Experience
Professional and Technical Experience
The role holder must have had at least 5 years PQE and 5 years working experience working in a Trust, Funds and Corporate Services legal capacity within a fast-paced, fast-evolving and dynamic environment as a Senior Lawyer.
The candidate must also have a demonstrable track-record producing effective and high-quality legal advice to departmental heads within a business, leading to enhanced integrity in both internal and external affairs.
The role holder will further have proven and successful experience creating departmental priorities that align strategic direction of the legal department and the overall business objectives. A suitable candidate will also have proven experience in relationship management and a demonstrated ability to lead a legal team and develop talents that subsequently drive value across the business.
Legal Skills: The Head of Legal has to have an ability to identify and remedy complex legal issues without inviting the services of external legal advice. He/she must also have exceptionally good skills in the legal negotiation such as mergers and acquisitions, tender bidding, contract acquisitions and litigation. The role holder must also have an ability to draft and manage complex patent, trademark, and regulatory documentation, handling such matter comfortably within a fast-paced business environment.
MS Office: The Head of Legal must additionally be technologically adept and possess excellent computer skills. He must have good MS Office, MS Excel, and PowerPoint skills, which will be necessary in the creation of various legal documents and engaging presentations as necessary.
The role holder will have demonstrable experience of leading, coaching and supporting colleagues and have prior managerial experience is essential. The role holder will act in a supportive role to their direct reports in the management of their team and will coach and guide them in developing their own supervisory skills.
Leadership Skills: Good leadership skills having ability to influence cross-functional teams towards a unified direction along with the business’s senior leadership and relevant stakeholders.
Interpersonal Skills: The Head of Legal must be a result-driven and service-driven individual, must have exceptionally good problem solving skills, be highly adaptable and flexible, work comfortably in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, have an ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks and meet tight deadlines, be proactive and self-motivated, have a keen eye for detail, and have an ability to remain calm and composed during times of uncertainty and stress.
Communication Skills: The Head of Legal will also need exceptionally good communication skills in this highly collaborative and interactive capacity where his/her clarity in information conveyance will determine how effectively collaborative tasks are executed.
The role holder will additionally need good communication skills in drafting high-value legal documentation, which must be clear, unambiguous, concise, and conclusive, leaving no room for misinterpretation or manipulation.
The successful candidate will be fluent in English and an understanding of other languages is desirable.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
The role holder will be a qualified senior lawyer with 5+ years of PQE with at least 5 years of working experience working in a Trust, Funds and Corporate Services legal capacity within a fast-paced, fast-evolving and dynamic environment, preferably working as a Senior Lawyer.
The successful candidate will be a visible champion of ZEDRA’s values and behaviours and will support our CSR initiatives.
In-Depth of Key Responsibilities
- Advise on problematic fiduciary matters and complaints and where required take the lead on such matters.
- Manage TIEA (Tax Information Exchange Agreements) requests.
- Provide guidance in relation to data protection legislation and requests (in compliance with GDPR and equivalent legislation).
- Maintain and oversee watch list matters.
- Maintain and oversee the litigation registers (to include oversight of litigation registers for other jurisdictions).
- Maintenance and review of in-house Legal Precedents.
- Advise on Intra Group Agreements (IGAs).
- Advise on legal and regulatory matters.
- Review and advise on Terms and Conditions across the ZEDRA Group.
- Review and advise on Letters of Engagement across the ZEDRA Group.
- Review and negotiate third party contractual terms.
- Review and drafting of legal arrangements for the business and on fiduciary matter including, but not being limited to, facility letters/ loan agreements, security and escrow documents relating to structured finance, and registration of legal charges.
- Advise compliance and other Group functions on regulatory laws and compliance.
- Answering technical queries from the trust administration team.
- Where required assisting with the appointment and retirement of new trustees.
- Where required, assisting with non-standard distributions from trusts.
- Assisting with structuring matters including the drafting of bespoke trust, corporate and fund terms independently and, where necessary in conjunction with external counsel.
- Assisting with the administration of non-standard assets.
- Management of ongoing litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR).
- Reporting of litigation and ADR to Senior Management and Board.
- Liaising with external advisors pertaining to litigation and ADR.
- Advising on Court Orders/ Production Orders.
- Assisting the Business with the development of new offerings.
- Providing legal analysis of the Business’ offerings to ensure they comply with relevant laws.
- Managing and mitigating legal risks by designing and implementing company legal policies and procedures.
- Promoting legal, compliance and risk management best practice throughout the company.
- Designing and delivering legal training to the business.
- Staying up-to-date with changes to legislation, particularly in relation to laws, rules and regulations that directly affect our business and specific industry.
- Assisting with the onboarding of new business that may have challenging legal aspects to them.
- Assisting with the growth of existing and new legal relationships across the Group.
If you are interested in joining our dynamic and driven international team, please email your CV and covering letter specifying your desired role to [email protected]